Thursday, February 9, 2012

Save Money Couponing!

So you've probably seen the TLC show, Extreme Couponing - well, this article is NOT going to save you that kind of money. But hopefully, you'll find a few tips that can save you some cash the next time you go to the grocery store.

Shop the Sales - When I make my round through the grocery aisles, I don't shop for what I need. I shop for what's on sale and I adjust my needs accordingly. So if spaghetti sauce is buy one get one free (BOGO), then my kids have spaghetti that week instead of tacos.
Know the BOGOs - Grocery stores like Publix, Winn Dixie and BiLo offer Buy One Get One (BOGO) free specials on a weekly basis. But who wants to visit each store website to determine what BOGOs are the best? Couponing sites like SouthernSavers.com research all of these specials for you, so you don't have to waste time determining what to buy each week.
Collect Coupons from Your Sunday Paper - I usually get two Sunday papers so I can have double the amount of coupons. You have to be careful though because every once in a while, there are NO coupons in the Sunday paper. So if possible, pilfer through it before buying two.
Save big with BOGO Coupons - The real savings come when you can use a coupon for the BOGOs. Many grocery stores double coupons up to $.50. So if you have two coupons for a BOGO item, then you can use one coupon for the item you're paying for and another coupon for the item you're getting for free. If it's a $.50 coupon, then the store will automatically double it. Which means you're getting two items, but only paying for one and you're saving $2.00 on the only item you're paying for. It's a sweet deal!
Save big with Manufacturer Coupons AND Store Coupons - Some stores offer their own coupons for various products. So collect the store coupon and then collect the manufacturer coupon (available in the Sunday paper and online) and use them BOTH for the same item. You have to be sure your grocery store accepts both, but most do. This can really compound your savings.
Save money with Competitor Coupons - Know your grocery store's competitors. I shop at Publix and their main competitor is Winn Dixie. Sometimes, I shop at Winn Dixie (they have great meat specials) and when I do, I collect any available Winn Dixie coupons, because I can use them at Publix!! Publix will treat a Winn Dixie coupon as a store coupon, meaning I can use it AND a manufacturer coupon for the same item.

Couponing can be time-consuming, and honestly, I used to just go to discount stores to buy everything. It's less hassle and they do have "Low Prices." But when I compare the two stores, I save more and I get more for my money when I coupon at Publix. So if you have the time, try couponing. It provides huge savings and allows you to spend your money on other things...like going out to eat!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finance News